Friday, October 27, 2006

Seems Like No Time has Passed at all

Sammy,

Hard to believe that my sister is turning 40. When I think of you, you are frozen somewhere in your teens, sitting in your room, making arts and crafts out of cotton balls and pipe cleaners. I used to wander in your room to ask you every question that came to mind. Not sure why I thought you might have the answers as you were not that old yourself, but somehow, you always came up with something. I will never forget when you explained to me that everyone passes away, but you assuaged my fears at the time and made me realize that that time would be a long way away.

There was a long period where I think that we didn't know each other at all and yet, I decided when I was 18 that I would go and pay you a visit in Northhampton. I had so much fun with you that week and I think we ate in every restaurant in Northhampton. For some reason, my fondest memory is driving down a bumpy road toward an apple orchard, listening to Van Morrison's greatest hits. I was so sad when I left to go home. But the best part was, we became great friends after that week. You would become the person I turned to more than anyone when things were dicey, or confusing, or
happy.

I read back on this and think, boy, this is growing a tad weepy, so I think I will suffice to say that I feel blessed to have a sister such as you. You continually surprise me and amaze me and I have always admired you.

I love you, Samala. Happy birthday!

-Lindsey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home